It began with a little tickle in my throat, then a runny nose, followed by low energy, congestion and lots of colorful phlegm.
From there my friendly visitor traveled into my lungs before my body was able to fully usher it out the door.
While its not my favorite experience to be sick, I do enjoy the process of seeing my symptoms move and shift and recognize how my body is working hard to heal (I am not using the word fight intentionally here), and reestablish the status quo.
While some people reach for antibiotics at the first sign of trouble, I would rather let my body do what it knows how to do best and employ specific rituals and herbs to support its already brilliant protocols for healing.
- For throat tickle gargle with warm sea salt water to reduce swelling and inflammation.
- A few times a day drink warm water with lemon (high in C) and freshly grated ginger (decongestant).
- Before or after the drink above take a teaspoon of raw honey (avoid mixing honey with boiling water as it will kill off its vitality), honey help when coughing sets in and boost the immune system.
- It might sound gross but have a jar handy so you can spit in it and when the phlegm gets going, if its coming up, get it OUT!
- Use the Netti pot (warm water with 1/4 teaspoon of salt) several times a day to keep the sinus clear, you might be surprised at how much yuck actually comes out.
- Put your legs up the wall for 10min at least 1x a day to help stimulate the lymph. Cover your eyes and put on relaxing music to help the body rest.
- Use eucalyptus oil to help decongest (if you have an essential oil vaporizer use it)
- Drink fresh juice but ensure its not freezing cold. A combo of beets, carrots, apple, garlic, ginger, celery, and parsley will help Alkalize your body and support balance.
- Take an oregano oil capsule 1-2x a day, a natural antibiotic.
- Take a medicinal mushroom complex to help boost the immune system.
- Mix 3 tsp of turmeric in warm water, hold your nose, and swallow 2x a day (or just take a capsule). Turmeric helps melt phlegm away and supports the immune system to do its job better.
- Have a room temperature smoothie with potent unsweetened almond milk or coconut milk, berries and a larger dose of a green food powder.
- Cook with garlic and ginger and eat as many green veggies as you can.
- Stay active as your energy allows, go for walks and/or take a yoga class.
- If you have access to a sauna or a hot yoga studio (without doing the whole hot yoga practice) go and sweat.
- If you can't sleep take a natural sleeping aid to help you get a solid nights sleep.
- When the throat and cough begins make sure to take a potent bronchial support formula.
- Avoid all dairy until your congestion and phlegm is fully gone.
If you feel overwhelmed by this list take a deep breath and write down what would be doable in your life.