After reading articles on nutrition I am both happy and at times overwhelmed by all the immense data.
To counter the feeling of "is anything I am doing really healthy?" I have to remind myself for the most part keeping it simple is the way to ensure optimal health and sanity.
You have probably have heard all of these recommendations before, but just in case your overwhelmed.
- Stay hydrated.
- Eat unprocessed organic/local non-toxic foods.
- Rotate the foods in your diet so your body gets nutrient diversity.
- Reduce your consumption of refined grains and processed sugar.
- Don't be afraid of high quality fats (grass fed butter/ghee, coconut oil, avocados, poached eggs, olive oil, nuts & seeds-in moderation)
- If you consume animal foods ensure they are pasture raised.
- Get restful and deep sleep.
- Move your body in some way 4 times a week (walks count, but its also important to ramp things up to work your muscles and heart)
- Reduce your consumption of refined & and high in Omega 6 vegetable oils (canola, sunflower, safflower, soy, and corn).
- Increase your consumption of Omega 3 through low mercury fish (sardines, anchovies, salmon, halibut, sea bass, etc.)
- Manage your stress.
- Reduce your exposure to toxic chemicals (hello teflon, cleaning products and personal care products).
- Increase your intake of anti-inflammatory veggies, herbs and spices.
- Tell your close family and friends how much you appreciate them.
- Laugh and have some fun!